Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Benjamin Franklin Reading

One thing I found especially interesting was that Benjamin Franklin did not get to settle on the first career that was lined up for him. He was moved around a lot as a boy, and his life changed many times, but he stayed true to what he enjoyed. Which was, like Malcolm X, reading. He learned how to work hard and be diligent from keeping up with his hobby or reading. The one aspect of Franklin's writing that I did not enjoy, were the words and style of his writing. It was hard for me to understand exactly what he was trying to get across after my first time reading it. That was probably only because that was just the way people talked and wrote back then. It was interesting for me to compare Franklin's and Malcolm X's different circumstances. They both read for the same reasons, they enjoyed it, they wanted to better themselves, and they were intrigued by the world that knowledge and reading opened up to them. Even though they were in completely different times and situations, they both kept up with their passions. I hope that if I am presented with circumstances that would make my passions more difficult to sustain, that I will have the strength to keep up with them, as Benjamin Franklin and Malcolm X did.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, the language is different in Franklin's piece (and time period). Good for you for sticking with it and reading through it again for confirmation of your first thoughts on it!

    ReplyDelete